In Memory of Campbell R. Bridges (1937-2009)

We wish to thank all the people who have sent their heartfelt condolences regarding the senseless, brutal murder of Campbell. We are terribly heart-stricken by the recent event but we are also so very grateful that Bruce Bridges survived the attack.

In an effort to help cover the tremendous costs of security and lawyer fees please offer a donation here.

The enormous amount of email and phone calls we have received from the world over, is truly a testament to Campbell and his ability to touch peoples lives with his larger than life personality. Campbell lived every day to the fullest and even at 71, he still viewed the world with wonder and curiosity.

There will never be another man like Campbell. We will miss him….. but we will also feel blessed to have known him.

We will be posting more information regarding the events as more details become available.

Jim Walker

Please post your thoughts as comments below.

We encourage you to take action and help us find justice by joining our facebook group and signing our petition.

Campbell Bridges with medicine man

Tags: , ,

63 Responses to “In Memory of Campbell R. Bridges (1937-2009)”

1. admin says:

My love and sincerest condolences go out to the Bridges family.

2. Jan S. Glover says:

My prayers and thoughts go out to the Bridges’ family and for Bruce’s recovery. Mr. Campbell was indeed a legend in my eyes-his love for the land, people, animals, and gemstones of Kenya will not be forgotten. May he rest in peace. and may those who committed this crime be held accountable and brought to justice.

3. Hi Bruce,

I learned yesterday that your father Campbell Bridges was murdered near his mine in Kenya and you were wounded in that brutal event trying to protect your father.

That’s a real shock for me as we met recently at the ICA congress where we were speaking about meeting each other again next October in Tsavo region. Writing these words I feel like lost. I hope that you will recover soon and that you and your family will be able to look forward. I’m praying for all of you!

I met your father Campbell Bridges only at few occasions since July 2005 when I was traveling to Kenya with Jean Baptiste Senoble. We had the pleasure to meet your father at your office in Nairobi. We were surprised to meet somebody as friendly, passionate and open. He was also very impressive. When we said that we would enjoy to visit his mine he proposed to meet us there.
    Our meeting at the “Scorpion tsavorite mine” in Taita hills was truly one of our four months expedition highlights. If your father was a great geologist and miner, he was also wonderful with words: It was an incredible pleasure to listen from his lips, in the field during an African afternoon, the history of his discovery of tsavorite. We were truly captivated.

We had a small story with JB about Campbell we like to remind each other regularly. I would like to share with you and your family that story, it is not much about gemology but about good times and this is something that you will need now:
    During our expedition JB decided to follow my advise to be healthier and stop drinking beer. After few weeks he was successful but then Campbell proposed us a beer at the mines to start some good talking. JB said that he was trying to stop drinking beer, Campbell then asked him:
    “But do you like a fresh beer?”
    JB answered:
    “Sure, but I try to stop”
    Then Campbell said
    “It would be stupid not to take a beer if you want to enjoy one on such an evening…”
    That argument coming from Campbell ruined all our efforts: JB took the beer and enjoyed the moment.
    As a result of that day JB got all the time a good excuse to continue to enjoy a good beer after a long good day in the field and he had also a good way to be sure that I would share it with him. So I started to drink beers from time to time particularly with JB thinking about our past expeditions and about that day with your father.
    Be sure that we will continue to share some fresh beers after great long days in the field giving cheers to the memory of your father and to Tsavo…

That day, you see we had the feeling to live some very precious hours. Now as we know that we will not have this pleasure anymore we really feel the wonderful gift he did to us giving us one day of his life. He was an example and a true source of inspiration.

Thanks to him we learned a lot about the geology of tsavorite, it was not just the content, there was also the style, the romance. Thanks to that day my vague interest for a green stone became a passion for a beautiful gem.

After that encounter, JB and I decided to continue to visit tsavorite mines when we had such possibility… We visited them in Kenya, in Tanzania and Madagascar. Each time we met great people. I became a tsavorite fan and I surprised myself writing articles about tsavorite. Campbell was a great source of inspiration for these articles. Thanks to him writing about this gem turned to be very easy in fact as if the gem had a great name, it had also a great hero.

As I like to say: ” Gemology is not just about science, it is so much also about people” and today I want to say particularly about people like you.
    People who gave their life to promote and protect gems and the places they origin from.

I love the quote from Campbell on the index page:

“What could be more romantic than a superb flashing green gemstone,
    that originate from a mysterious and beautiful land where the roars of the hunting lion shatter the silence of a star-filled African night.”

Campbell Bridges, http://www.tsavorite.com

Nothing… You were so right! Romance is the key to desire, and “desire” is another word of “gem”.

I just want to add few words to your father:

“Thanks you so much Campbell to have taken the time to receive us
    and turn two young gemologists into tsavorite lovers. That day with you in Tsavo was a priceless pleasure.
    Your death was a brutal injustice. I would like to add sadly: “TIA” as Di Caprio said in “Blood Diamond”.
    It was a brutal injustice. But now you belong to Tsavo and to tsavorite. After Col. Patterson and the man eaters of Tsavo, there will be now Campbell Bridges and the green gems from Tsavo. You have all my admiration for the life and the death you had. We will meet each other again next time I will visit Tsavo. In October hopefully… There will be long days in the field, we will have some fresh beer and you will be there to share it with us!”

Bruce, I wish to you, your friends and your family all the best. Please receive my friendship and sincere condolences.
    I hope that you will all recover soon from that brutal injustice and terrible loss and most of all find the force to move forward.
    Thanks God you were able to survive!
    I wish that we will meet again soon in Africa.

All the best,

4. Patrick and Dorothy Ryan and Family says:

Dear Judy and Family,

We are all devastated and shocked to hear about this tragic news of Wiggy’s death.
    He was my friend since we were 12yrs old. We were also at University together and spent many wonderfull times together in Kenya and South Africa.

Thank God bruce was able to survive the attacks! He is a very brave man and did everything he could to save his father. Damn these bastards! may they receive the justice that is due to them. Our sincere condolences to you and your family, May God strenthen you during this terrible time!
    Pat, Dorothy and family

5. Beverly Yett says:

I met Campbell during a gemology course at the Museum in Nairobi. I enjoyed the many hours spent at the workshop looking at stones and enjoying his contagious enthusiasm for them. I remember fondly returning to Nairobi and making sure to visit the workshop there. My condolences to you and your family

6. James McNulty says:

Dear Judy, Bruce and Laura

I was shocked and saddened to hear of the senseless murder of Campbell. Please know that my thoughts are with you. If there is anything at all that I can do to make this very difficult time any easier please just let me know. I will get in contact with each of you as soon as possible. Very glad and thankful to hear that Bruce is OK.

Peace and strength,
    James

7. Debra Morse says:

My condolences and love to your family. This is such a loss. May your pain be washed with healing tears.

8. Kris Orth and family says:

Judy, Bruce and Laura,

Our deepest sympathies. Please know you are in our thoughts and prayers and we hope justice moves forward quickly. Campbell was wonderful man and we will always remember with fondness his many wonderful stories.

Kris, Rick, Kevin, Matthew and Stephan Orth

9. John McNulty Jr. says:

Dear Laura, Judy and Bruce Campbell’s senseless murder is a horrible blow to our family. I am glad that Bruce and his men were able to escape with their lives. I have taken a couple of days off work to deal with this. I am going to try to explain it to Jill when James arrives in Chicago later today. I have reached out to you on all known email addresses. When I got Laura’s email she was already out of the country. When you have time could you email me a working phone number so I could talk to you. I have an international phone card all I need is a number. I left a message on David’s cell but I don’t know if it works internationally. Love

John

10. Kayo Yamada says:

My deep condolences and love to your family. I learned this tragedic event on BBC news. I do not know Mr. Campbell personally, but as one working in the development field in Africa, I am very angry at the fact that this is happening and this happened to this world famous, loved one who was so committeed to the gen stones and environment–the beauty that Africa can offer to the world. This should not have happened, and this should NOT happen again-never, ever. NOT acceptable.

I learned about the romance of the gem stone from words of Campbell on the website. Beautiful. His soul, his committment, his love to the gem and environment/nature in Africa, is absolutely romance.

The hope is that Bruce, his son is saved, survived. Campbell’s family is here to carry on his life mission and romance in this world. Support of the world is with you all.

11. Grace says:

I am a distant relative of the Bridges, neice of Walker who spent a magical summer in Campbell’s tree houses. As a little girl, the stories were fantastical, unimaginable and romantic. As a young woman studying international law, my heart aches with the magnitude of this tragedy: the smoldering heat of a political struggle, the deafening violence that is unleashed by ignorance and the frustration of immobility, and the crushing greif of a family whose life and adventures were the stuff of my childhood whimsy. You have all of my love, thoughts, and prayers.

12. Carole & Dave Yoho says:

Bruce — This is a devastating tragedy that cannot be explained or justified. We thank God for the blessing of your survival. We have fond memories of your time at Potomac with our Brad. We pray for your discernment in all of the decisions that will need to be made. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family at this most difficult time.

13. Dale Allyn says:

My sincerest condolences to the Bridges family. Bruce, you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

14. Anita Elias says:

You do not know me but I was deeply saddened and shocked to hear the news of the attack and untimely death of Campbell. He has brought much enjoyment to so many people who have found his discovery of Tsavorite a joy. I just wish I could do something to help you through you pain and I will always remember the man himself when I wear my beautiful tsavorite.
    So, so very sorry.

15. Matthew and Linda Krebs says:

The world has lost a gem of a man. Kenya like so many places is full of beauty and senseless violence. It is a shame that someone who brought so much to the region was lost in the region.

Bruce and family, take care. Our prayers are with you. Heal fast. We also would like to know if we can help in any way.

All our love.

16. Meir Carmi says:

Bruce I remember you as a little boy at your home in Nairobi,
    I was the owner of MBC Diamond in Los-Angeles ,California.
    I consider your father as my friend .I knew him via Fran Britton.
    with great sadness I heard about your father murder .
    He was a great man.
    I was a guest at your home in Nairobi ,for two month 1984/85,with Michael Abitbol .
    It was one of my best time.We spend a week in the tree-house,what a trill !!!
    I spend every day with him in his office in Nairobi.I used to drive with your Mom car the Fiat 127.
    I retire 19 years ago from the diamond business ,and I lost track of Campbell,
    I was sure that one we will meet again,so sad that it will not happened.
    My Condolences to you your Mom Judith a your sister Laura.

Be strong,
    Meir Carmi

17. Étienne & Kelly Paré says:

Judith and Bruce:
    I have nothing but wonderful memories of Campbell. Such a tragedy will always be remembered, but his personality of charm, humor, stories, good deeds, and love will transcend all of this momentary insanity.

I am so-o-o very sorry that this happened, and can only hope that justice in your case will prevail. I will remember him in my prayers. Your photos on the website captured him so perfectly . . . there is nothing more that can be said when you know the man he was.

Kelly and I will mourn his loss with the all those that knew him also. Our hugs and prayers are with Judith and your family now . . .

18. Naomi says:

I didn’t know Campbell that well, we had met a few times in 2007 in Nairobi, but his overwhelming enthusiasm for everything that comes out of the ground is something that I have carried with me ’til this day, and his promise to take me to his mines one day now something that can never be fulfilled. My deepest sympathy to the whole Bridges family, my thoughts and prayers are with you at this time.

Naomi

19. Bob Butler says:

Bruce and Jim,

I want to extend our deepest sympathies to you and the rest of the family on behalf of my mother, my brother and his wife, and our friends whose lives you have enriched with your beautiful gems. I am so sorry I never got to meet Campbell or to take you up on your invitation to visit the mine. I, my family, and the gem group here in Virginia wish you speeding healing both physically and emotionally, and pray for justice for you and Campbell.

Take good care.
    Bob

20. Don Hooker says:

Bruce,
    If there is anything I can do for you just contact me. My time at the mine with Campbell will be one of the most cherished times of my life. I learned so much from him. It was a pleasure to be in camp with him in the evenings talking and shareing stories. He talked of his children alot during those evening. He loved live to the fullest we would spend half an hour just looking at a flower or a photo I had taken around the epl. I’am a better person fr knowing your father. I think your mom has my email address if you need it.

21. Peggy & Elliot Spiegel says:

Dear Judy, Laura, and Bruce
    We are so very sorry for your loss. You are in our thoughts and prayers constantly. Even though we met Campbell for the first time last February at the Gem Show in Tucson, we feel like we’ve known him for over 2 years because of the wonderful stories Laura told us about him. It seems like when we were with Laura these past years many things would remind her of her father and she would tell us a story. We heard stories about the tree house, the gems, the dogs, the animals, the people, song writing, adventure stories, and her father was always in the stories. I think Laura has inherited Campbell’s ability to tell good stories. We remember vividly the stories Campbell told us at the restaurants in Tucson about Africa and his business. Elliot and I were fascinated with his stories and that despite various hardships over the years, he maintained an enthusiasm for life and adventurous spirit. When the conversation turned to the topic of Laura and Bruce, Campbell’s stories were of a loving and proud father. He told us about a song Laura wrote when she was little and how good it was. (I hope Laura remembers it and will sing/play it for us someday). Laura always told us how much her father loved music. I’m sure there will be lots more music in heaven now that Campbell is there.

On behalf of the Spiegel Family and all our extended family and friends in the Chicago/Lisle area we want to express our deepest sympathy for your terrible loss. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Lots of Love, Peggy and Elliot Spiegel

22. Danielle Lee says:

Mr. Bridges Senior’s passion for life was infectious to the point of leaving you yearning to pack your bags and go hurtling off to Kenya for the “Adventure of a Lifetime”! It was impossibe to meet Mr. Bridges and not be a changed person in some way.

I WAS, AM and ALWAYS will be, overwhelmed by his patience, generosity, decency and kindness.

There will never be enough words to express my shock and sadness over
    this senseless tragedy.

Bruce, I feel incredibly honored to have met your father. I will always cherish the memory of meeting the both of you.

Bruce, sending you and your family loving thoughts. You are in my prayers.

Danielle

23. Peggy & Elliot Spiegel says:

Dear Judy, Laura and Bruce and Danielle,
    You are in our thoughts and prayers constantly. We are so sorry for your loss. Even though we met Campbell for the first time in Tucson last February, we feel like we’ve known him for over 2 years because of the stories Laura has told us in that time. Laura told us stories about Kenya, the tree house, the road to Mombasa, the animals, the dogs, the mines, the people, conservation,and the stories always included tales of her father. She told us how much he loved music and how he loved telling good stories. I think Laura has inherited his ability to tell a good story. When we were at the restaurants in Tuscon, Campbell told us fascinating stories about Africa and his business. Both Elliot and I were amazed at his enthusiasm and love of life despite the many hardships he faced over the years. He told us stories about Laura and Bruce and how they grew up in Kenya, and how they spent days and weeks in the tree house in the bush. He told us one story about Laura writing a song when she was little and how much he liked it. (I hope Laura remembers it so she can sing/play it for me–I’d love to hear it). Campbell was an adventurous soul and the world is a better place because he touched so many lives for the good. We were looking forward to spending more time with him and we are very sad about his tragic death. As one blogger said there is a mountain missing in East Africa now.

On behalf of the Spiegel Family and our entire extended family and friends in the Chicago/Lisle area you have our deepest sympathy. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Love, Peggy and Elliot Spiegel

24. Linda says:

Dear Judy, Digby, Bruce & Laura,
    My most heartfelt condolences to you over the loss of Campbell, especially under these senselessly tragic circumstances. I hope the support flowing in from around the world is of some comfort to you in your crippling grief. Bruce- I do so admire your incredible strength and perseverance, such a great inspiration to the international community. I know your Dad was very proud of you.
    Campbell’s homepage photo here so clearly sums up his legacy, his warmth, his love of Africa. Our family has many happy memories of being there. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.
    With love and deepest sympathy,
    Linda

25. Marty, Lori, Matthew, Sara & Brad Demirjian says:

Dear Judy, Laura and Bruce,

It is with a very heavy heart that we offer our deepest condolances for your loss (and the world’s loss). We were so saddened by the news and overcome with a feeling of helplessness that we were unable to assist you in some way during your greatest hour of need. Our mourning will continue with unceasing prayer.

Please know that Lori and I both felt deeply honored to know Campbell from the moment that we met him. From that day forward, I took every opportunity to brag about him to anyone that would listen and I shall continue to do so. He was a very special man, truly an honorable and captivating adventurist. We cherish the few evenings that we were able to spend with him. I know that you all must stand very very proud of him. Please let us know if there is any way at all that we might help.

May God be with you,
    Marty and Lori Demirjian

26. Gisela Witte Channell says:

Dear Brucy,

I am still so shocked of what has happened, my deep condolences to you, your mother Judy and sister Laura! Karl told me about it, after Jim had informed him. Such a great man was your father, a living legend of Africa, he will be missed by all of us!
    Praying for justice and healing!

With Love and Hope,
    Gisela Witte Channell

27. Dear Bruce and Laura,

We have never met as you were only a glimmer in your father’s eye when I had the pleasure meeting your Father. I spent the entire summer of 1975, as a young boy working in the mines and traveling around Kenya. Some of that time was spent in Nairobi with your Mom and Dad. I cannot begin to tell you how much that summer’s experiences have added to my life. Rich memories magnified by my own youth, I brought away lasting images of a beautiful country, filled with incredible wildlife, people and good old fashioned adventure. These wonderful memories still remain sharp in my mind. You’re Father with some help from Digby, Linda and my parents made this dream possible for me and I will never forget a single moment.
    My deepest condolences to you and your Mom, Campbell or “wiggy” as we called him will be missed. I so am proud to have known him, he was kind and gentle with those he took under his wing, truly a rare gem. You must be so proud him. My wife and kids have shared the summer I spent with your Dad many, many times over. My youngest, still too young for the stories of adventure is still taken by the pictures in my wonderful old photo album.
    It is my hope justice is done and those responsible are punished, every one of them!
    If there is anything I can do from here in the states now or in time, please contact me, Digby knows how to find me. I wish I could do something for you and your family. Your family is always welcome if you ever find yourselves in northern New York, I could never compete with the raw beauty of Africa but this is a great place to get away.

All my love to you and your Mom,

Walker

28. The Lester Serafini Family says:

Dear Judy, Bruce and Laura, ( whom we have been hoping to meet for a long time),

Our family wishes to express our deepest and most sincere condolences and would like for you to know that we have been so greatly saddened and affected by Campbell’s sudden death. We also feel so incredibly grateful to have known him in such a BIG way over the last few years. He touched all of our lives on so many levels, and he is remembered fondly and with so much love. Even our 3 year old has been obsessed with gems since spending a few hours with Campbell at the Nairobi office. He puts the stones on the back of his often sticky, chubby, closed hand and dashes to the nearest window to see the light. It is a memory we will cherish.

Campbell was such an extraordinary man, a real gentleman of days gone by, and a true example of a global citizen. We feel that the world, and certainly Kenya was a better place for his presence! There were no borders when it came to Campbell’s heart or his knowledge. He was forever giving and sharing, and affecting deeply the lives of so many that crossed his path. His soul harnessed the true essence of Africa!

We are honored to know you all, and we will do anything we can to support you through this. Campbell’s spirit surrounds us each day; he is a part of us all. Judy, you and Campbell have been like family to us. We love you and send you strength and peace to see this through. You are forever in our hearts and in our thoughts. Our consciousness shall focus on justice!

With love, peace, friendship and light.
    Gabrielle, Richard, Atlin, Daelyn and Arden

29. Herman Cortez says:

Dear Bruce Bridges and Family,

It is our deepest sorrow and regret to have learned of your father’s death and attack on yourself. My wife, Laura, and I were stunned to hear of the tragic news. The world has lost another good man, (your father), therefore the world just became a little smaller. We all lose when good people fall in the struggle of righteousness. There are no words to remove the pain or make it easier when senseless brutallty happens, but we can give homage to those we love. Again, our deepest regret to you and your family.

With Sorrow,
    Herman and Laura Cortez

30. David Higgins says:

Dear Judy, Bruce, Danielle, Laura and Digby,

I was devastated to hear of Campbells death in such awful circumstances. I watched Bruce on the BBC relating the details of the attack and was so moved by his composure when describing the events and relieved that he wasn’t more seriously injured.
    I have many recollections of Campbell beginning in 1978 when on Jack Block’s advise he took me on, gave me space and support to take risks and find my potential. My times since then he has been my guide even though he may not have known it. He was just, fair, tough and kind and someone I will miss and never forget.

Campbell is and always will be a hero in our family. He was a man of Africa with a heart of gold . all our support and love David

31. Ros, Rose and Albie Higgins says:

Dear Judy, Bruce, Laura and Danielle,

We are so shocked to hear of Campbells death in such a violent and brutal manner and want to tell you that we are all thinking of you. We have wonderful memories from his and Judys time with us last year and feel so very sad that we will never get to see him here again. He has been a legend in the Higgins house in the UK and the extended Higgins families in Australia some of who have been lucky enough to meet him.
    Any assistance we can give in the hunt for his killers is yours and there will always be a home for you with us in England.

Much love,
    Ros, Rose and Albert Higgins

32. Jeane and John DeRaimo says:

Dear Laura, Bruce, and Mrs. Bridges,
    May God’s love soothe your grieving hearts and tenderly carry you forward through this tragedy. May you find strength in the love of all of us who care. We are so sad for you.
    Love and prayers, Jeanne and John

33. Shirley & Dave Glaser says:

Dear Laura (and family),
    We were so sorry to hear about your loss. From all that we have read, your father sounds like an incredible person. Peggy and Elliot have been keeping us updated, and we would like you to know that you are in our thoughts and prayers. May God bless you and your family throughout this sad journey.
    Love and prayers,
    Shirley and Dave Glaser

34. Don and Camille Johnson says:

Dear Mrs. Bridges, Laura, Bruce, and family,

This site is a wonderful tribute to your patriarch. We wish we had the opprotunity to meet him, but knowing his lovely daughter speaks volumns for him.

Our deepest sympathy to you at this time of tragedy. Please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Laura, your Lisle family will welcome you back with arms opened.
    Peace to all of you.
    Our love,
    Don and Camille Johnson

35. Kathleen Owens says:

Dear Laura (and David), Bruce and Mrs. Bridges

Please accept my deepest sympathy on the loss of your husband/father. You are all in my thoughts and prayers. I pray that God’s love and compassion will surround you during these difficult times. I know you will be comforted by loving and fond memories.

Peace and Blessings.

Kathleen Owens

36. Leslie and John McElligott says:

We join you in celebrating the life of Campbell and we are glad Bruce is alright. All of our best to Judy, Bruce, Laura, and Danielle.

Leslie and John McElligott
    Virginia, USA

37. Matt and Julie Owens says:

Laura, Bruce, Danielle, and Mrs. Bridges,

We are so truly sorry for your devastating loss. Laura, I will always remember how lovingly and proudly you spoke of your father. After hearing about you father I felt just heartbroken for you and your family. You are in our thoughts and prayers. We wish you and your family all the love and peace in the world.

Matt, Julie, Quinn, Will, and Cate Owens

38. Joel Stava & April Finan says:

Laura and the Bridges family,
    We’d like you to know that all of our thoughts and love are with you and your family at this horrible moment. I am glad David can be there with you, and certainly all of who care for you here in Chicago have you in our thoughts and prayers and are with you in spirit.

We know from your stories that your father was a wonderful man and that you loved him. Our deepest sympathies are with you.

Your friends,
    Joel & April

39. Mary E. Cieplak says:

Wtih sympathy and prayers for you and your family.
    Love, Aunt Mary

40. Dear Bruce and the rest of your family,
    I just learned yesterday about your father’s brutal murder and your injury. I am deeply saddened for your loss. I pray that you will recover completely from this murderous attack. I will work for justice for your father. I have already signed the petition and emailed the state department regarding your father’s murder. I hope to have a chance to tell you in person how very sorry I am for your loss.
    Fondly, Estelle VErnon

41. Peter Heller says:

Laura and Bruce
    I am so upset to hear this terrible news. I first met you both in Nairobi in the early 1990s in the context of an IMF mission to nairobi. But I also just met Campbell and Bruce in January of this year, and was so excited to see him in good health and spirits. He was a wonderful and joyous man who will be sorely missed. Kenya is the worse off for not protecting those who have been so devoted to it.
    Best
    Peter

42. Justin and Erin Staryzk says:

Dear Laura, Judy, and Bruce,

Your family has been in our thoughts and prayers since hearing of this devastating and truly tragic event. We are praying that you find some modicum of peace in time and that you may experience justice at some level.

We always enjoyed hearing the fascinating stories about Campbell through Laura, and he sounded like a truly remarkable human being and wonderful father. We wish we could have met him, but hope to hear more about his interesting and adventurous life to share his memory.

With sympathy
    Justin, Erin, and Ella Starzyk

43. Dear Judy and family,
    Campbell was amazing and knowing him was one of the exciting pleasures of my life. He was indeed rare and I don’t think their is a match for his enthusiasm, intelligence and courage. I am so terribly saddened by his tragic death. He was able to share the beauty of his beloved Tsavorites and other African gems with so many people giving them a unique thrill by imparting the importance of a gems rarity and romancing the stone.

Judy, I hope you remember me and I am thinking of you with special care, Patricia House (Nat History LA and Bowers)

44. I met Campbell in Edinburgh over supper following his talk to the Scottish Branch of the Gemmological Association of GB, nearly ten years ago. He made a strong impression. Ever since, I have been telling everyone that tsavorite is gemmologically superior to, and rarer than, emerald. I discussed the development of his mines and prospects but could not persuade him to consider open pit operations; he liked the cool shade and low environmental impact of underground mining! A memorable fellow Scottish geologist who will be sadly missed. John Langlands, ACA Howe International Limited, Edinburgh

45. Roman Pryjomko says:

Dearest Bruce, Laura and beloved Judy,

I simply cannot find the words to express how I feel right now about this tragedy and your dreadful personal loss. Campbell was one of the first people to call me when my own father died suddenly in 1994. I will never forget the tender words he shared with me then. They have resonated in my mind and heart ever since.

For now, I want to spend some time in quiet reflection and prayer for the soul of beloved Campbell–and for all of you. Perhaps I will find the right words at some time in the future — please forgive me! In the meantime, I have asked a close friend and priest based in Arusha to say Holy Mass for Campbell in the coming days. I will keep you in my heart and prayers and I will be with you in spirit on Friday in Nairobi.

Campbell told me to be strong, he taught me that life is not a destination but an adventurous journey that should challenge us every day—to be better, to honour goodness, and to spread joy and light everywhere and anywhere. In all of these aspects and many more…Campbell triumphed and his is a light that will burn forever in the hearts of countless people around this perplexing world.

Go gently my dear friend and inspiring mentor…your wonderful journey continues in our memories.

With warmest wishes -always,
    Roman (Vienna, Austria)

46. Bobby Mann says:

Our deepest sympathy goes out to all of Campbell’s family and friends. We lost a great friend. I met Campbell first in May 1994 when he traveled to Washington DC to speak and entertain our group The Washington DC Chapter of the GIA Alumni Association with a wonderful presentation “Tsavorite, Discovery, Mining & Marketing.” He returned in January 2000 and gave us another wonderful presentation “Gems of East Africa.” We will dearly miss him, may he rest in peace. Bobby Mann, President and all of the officers and members of the DC GIA Alumni.

47. Scottish Gemmological Association says:

We were all shocked and saddened to learn of Campbell’s death. We have great memories of his visit to Edinburgh and we were all touched by his infectious enthusiasm. He will be sorely missed by the gem community.

Our sympathy goes to his family and friends.

Catriona McInnes, for the Scottish Gemmological Association

48. Jerry and Cindy Oehler says:

Our sincerest condolences to the Bridges family. Laura, you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

49. Cahill Family says:

Dear Laura and family,
    We were all so very sorry to hear about the death of your father. We have read what has been recently published about his life and realize what a loss this is for so many people. We pray that you are safe and that you will all feel the love that surrounds you from the world community and have the strength to move forward from this terrible time.
    Bob & Maryellyn

50. Dear Bruce and Bridges Family.

I pray that God will give you and your family strength and peace during this hard times. I still remember how your dad was kind to us- me and my client Anna – Germany on 10th August 2009 on our way from your mine in Tsavo during our Gemstones tour to Bridges mines. Bridges was very kind to me and had always treated me with respect in person since the first time when we met in the year 2000. May God bless his soul for ever and I pray the evil doers will surely come to pay for their evil deeds. I and my family Esther and Davie are praying for you and your family. Be strong and be assured Bridges spirit will live forever and his good work will spread to the entire world. G. Okeno, Esther Okeno and Davie Okeno